Thursday 3 October 2013

For this brief we were asked to design an underwater creature. This could be any sort, be it squid, fish, balloon fish... I already had one small idea, from the top left most creature. Yet I wanted to try and make it look more similar to a real fish. I started looking at squid and lamprey for inspiration, ending up with two designs I really liked.
I also had a go at an almost reptile-like mer-person, trying to give it a more aggressive look. This design wasnt exactly my favourite, and it was scrapped.

After a bit of thinking, I decided on the top left design, of the squid-fish. It was simple, yet was not exactly.. normal in a sense. I started out by making a 3D sculpt of the fish, to get its shadows and basic structure done right.

The mouth was designed like a lamprey's, and would have sharp teeth along the edges (I had issues trying to get the teeth working right in the sculpt). I also shortened the tentacles, and removed most of the fins (which I felt looked a bit out of place).

I then did a simple paintover of it in the program, almost shark like in colours.
This then was taken into PaintTool SAI and used on a Lumi-shade layer to provide an extra layer of shading after I painted the fish underneath.


Im pretty happy with the final result, yet I believe I could have added a bit more detail with things such as textures, and maybe a bit stronger lighting. Yet Im happy with the overall design of the creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment