Friday 29 April 2016

Ford GTE Model

Well this was... interesting to say the least. unfortunately this was a failed attempt at building the new Ford GT GTE race car.
 
I had gone through a lot of footage of testing and press photos to gather as many references as I could, however I feel like I bit off far more than I could chew with the model, as I planned to create interiors and parts of the chassis underneath. 






I originally started creating the model through box modelling, and was going well for creating the main body shape and form.

I decided to create a set of wheels first as a baseline to work around, and use reference photos to the best of my ability to create the car as accurately as possible. Because of the way the car has been aerodynamically designed to work like a Prototype Class race car, I began creating it in two parts, one for the teardrop centre body with cockpit, and a second for the floor leading up to the rear end. 
And this is where it faltered. Not only were the two parts going to be utterly horrible to stitch together once done, I had made a fundamental flaw. I had began by box modelling the car, so when it came to topology and trying to create the wheel arches, it just would not work. I would have to completely restarts. Definitely learnt a lot here.

No comments:

Post a Comment