Friday 29 April 2016

Mk7 Valkyrie

This design is one I have had in my back pocket for a long while, developing it over time to what it has become now.

The mech originally started as a sketch to create a military unit for a world building excercise I had been doing for a long while in my spare time, but I decided to take it further.

I was pretty happy with this initial design, after looking at inspiration from Pacific Rim, and other influences such as Gundam, Armoured Core and Battletech. I wanted to make it beefy enough to look like it could withstand a fight, but keep a sense of mobility, trying to differentiate itself from other designs. 

Over time I developed the design to be a lot more streamlined, cutting away unnecessary frills and plates. I also completely redesigned the head to make it more like a helmet than a sensor blister. 





When it came to making the final model, I began from torso outwards, with a symmetry modifier through the centre to make it mirrored. I found the torso and hips to be the most difficult parts to create, as working out how they would fit together and look in 3d space was a pain. I also decided to do away with the two swords being retractable into the forearms for the time being for time restraints. 

I am pretty happy with how it came out, although I would maybe go back and add more detail such as pistons, wiring and other high detail parts over the body, to help draw the eye around. I would also like to get this fully rigged and animated sometime, and see what I can do with it. Next time I might try to do each piece a bit more separate however, allowing me more freedom in getting the parts more detailed

No comments:

Post a Comment