Friday 29 April 2016

Mclaren 650s GT3

After the failed attempt that was the Ford GT, I began in earnest on another car. I wanted to make my current favourite looking car of all time, the Mclaren 650s GT3 race car.



The car is relatively new, and is a bit of a challenge due to the amount of curved bodywork and inlets it has across the car. Fortunately, there has been a good amount of press photos, and even other 3D Modelers creating their own models, so I had reference for how the car generally should look in wireframe.






Using these photos I began work on the car, starting with the front left wheel arch and working outwards from there, trying to make the bodywork flow smoothly around the car. It was a tough job as the design of the car is... interesting.


After I had created the basis for the front end of the car, using a mirror to make it symmetrical, I accidentally began fiddling far too much with the shape of the bonnet and the front wings. This drained a lot of time, and I really am annoyed at myself for it. As I went, I began building the car backwards. I set the rear wheel arches in preparation, and began connecting the pieces as I went. I was learning how to really build a car as I went, as it had been the first time I had built one other than the aborted attempt with the Ford Gt. One part that was a struggle was the roof and tail section.


The car is sculpted in a very specific way, curving back on itself a bit over the wheels and down a dip towards the engine bay.
After I had finished the rear section top, I went back to create the flat underfloor and get the front end finished.

Next were more complex parts, the Wing and the rear diffuser, two parts I was dreading making. They did turn out ok though, although some more detail on the diffuser could be used.


With that done, I moved to get the final ducting on the side and began smoothing the model. 

In all I am pretty happy with how this came out, even with the stress it caused being a first time. I annoyingly did miss some parts I only am now realising, such as the ducts over the wheels and some fins. The model could also be smoother, probably doing with a run through mudbox or Zbrush. Im pretty happy though, although I know what I need to improve for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment