Wednesday 14 May 2014

Avatar project

For this project I decided to not do myself, but a general female character, as I believed it would give me more of a challenge. From the start of the box modelling I was going rather well, yet it was when it came to adding extra detailing in the hands and joints primarily that I had trouble, as well as the face. I also gave her some large boots and a skirt, attached to the main body mesh.

The hair was a separate mesh, as were the strands of hair. This was more to do with how I wanted it to look. After finishing the mesh, I exported it to Roadkill as separate OBJ files, cutting out the UVW maps to be used as separate textures later on, as there would be multiple alpha maps for the hair. I took the model into mudbox to give it some more definition, although it was only slight. I baked out a normal map as well as an ambient occlusion map that I used to create the main diffuse map. After placing the diffuse map and the normal map onto the character, I found that the normal map was not working to standards, so I removed it.



I did also add in a skeleton using Human IK. I lined up all the joints and tested the movement, yet had trouble in skinning the multiple meshes to the skeleton.


No comments:

Post a Comment